Friday, August 24, 2012

Dieting Mistakes I've Made!

I am lucky enough to attend college in Fort Myers, Florida where sunshine and sparkling bodies of water are “just another day” on my campus.

I think students have begun taking this beautiful weather for granted, and it shows. I don’t live on campus, and we commuters are forced to walk up to a mile to our classroom buildings from the parking garages on the outer edge of campus. Of course there are no hills around here, and I look forward to the walk.

I often pause to catch a glimpse of the exotic birds, frogs, and even alligators sunning themselves near the lakes and walkways. I always wear my walking shoes to school and use the time to sort through obligations in my mind and soak up that crucial vitamin D. The dormitories are an even further distance from the main campus; so many students utilize the bus system.

Imagine

Imagine if a student who always took the bus began walking to and from their dorms daily. That extra exercise would provide a huge boost to their mood and metabolism! Now, I’m sure my friends to the north will start complaining about the snow and cold winds on their hilly campuses. My sister attends Point Park University in Pittsburgh, PA. She has bought all the necessary shoes, coats, hats, and gloves for the sometimes treacherous walk to class. When the weather is really bad, she does take the bus; but she always endures at least the walk to the stop.

To my peers: Please stop circling the parking lots for the closest spot, and for goodness sake if you live on campus, kick off those flip-flops, tie up your tennis shoes and walk!

Consider this: 

What is it that makes such smart, organized, responsible students so ignorant about what they drink? My brainy friends on campus can spout off facts about politics, participate in major research studies, and even pass calculus. Are their brains so full of knowledge that they can’t fit any information about nutrition? Or maybe they read so many textbooks that their eyes are too droopy to read nutrition labels.

Whatever the reason, they see no harm in starting their day with creamy, frothy concoctions (we have a Starbucks and Einstein Brothers right on campus servin' these rich drinks all day long!). The coffee shops are conveniently located in the Student Union and the Library, where many students kill time between classes by putting their feet up, catching up on some reading, and mindlessly sipping on caffeine and sugar for a quick energy boost.

It may work for the moment, but no wonder I catch so many of my fellow students napping during class! My favorite treat is diet green tea. It has enough caffeine to get me going, and I always stick with the diet versions because regular can pack as much sugar and calories as soda! But if you’re like me and simply must have that hot 20-oz. French vanilla cappuccino, opt for a lighter version. Starbucks, like most coffee joints, has a nutritional guide available on their website.

I used to go extreme and order a sugar-free, nonfat latte. As long as the drink is light/free of sugar and/OR fat, it’s a safe bet in the morning.

My final plea

My final plea is that students become educated about dieting fads. I can remember being a freshman (and I’ll admit, a bit young and dumb) and becoming aware of my food choices. I knew I didn’t want to be fat, so I simply erased all fat from my diet. I ate mostly white carbs and little else. I had no energy and didn’t lose as much weight as I’d expected.

I now know the differences between healthy fats and bad, and why healthy fats are crucial in moderation. I’ve also attempted the Atkins diet, which ultimately led to major sugar binges. A bag of cookies and a Ben and Jerry’s later, I realized that wasn’t working either! Balance, moderation, and the occasional treat has become my healthy, successful way of life. 

Small changes can make a big difference for young people. Stay tuned for more from the files of College Life Confidential!

Erin Johnson is a senior at Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers. She is writing a blog for Diet.com while trying to survive college by balancing class work, family life, a social life, and of course... eating right on a college budget!

0 comments:

Post a Comment